An attractive website must have a thoughtful, coherent design that attracts the user’s attention so that they want to browse it. We are going to see a few tips to make a good website design and some tools that will make your life a little easier.
Tips for web design
- Consistency: the website will be the cover letter of your business, and there is nothing worse than disorder and neglect to generate distrust and lose future customers. All the pages of your website must have a common structure and general style. Think about the colors you are going to use, the fonts, the styles, and the registration, and make sure that your entire website maintains the same style.
- Easy navigation: user experience will make the difference between a site with a good web design and one with a mediocre design. Time is money, so make the steps from one page to another few and fast. If what you want is for your visitors to convert to your website, reduce the steps, make them clear and simple. If the road is long and messy, they will tire in the middle and leave. Keep traffic on your website with easy and intuitive navigation.
- Links: a good way to facilitate navigation is to highlight the sites you have already visited, so as not to repeat. Something as simple as marking the links that have been visited with different colors will ensure that the user does not get lost on the web. Give them the easy way. Also, if you have external links, it is recommended that they open in a new tab. In this way, the user will not have to leave your website.
- Visual hierarchy: when you get to a website you want to find what you are looking for immediately. The best way to achieve this is to make the structure as visual as possible. It is not advisable to put too much text, and if it is accompanied by visual support, much better. A sober and clear structure, with well-organized information, will be a perfect canvas for the user to feel comfortable browsing your website.
- Content: most of the information on the Internet is in the form of text, therefore, this element should never be neglected. The content, in addition to being of quality, has to be well written and well presented. The revision of the text and the language has become essential to give a good image and generate confidence and security. A web design with texts full of spelling or grammatical errors will automatically drive away potential customers.
- Verticality: if the content you show on your website is organized vertically, you will encourage users to browse the page for longer. The more interest the content generates, the lower the users will go and the more chances of conversion there will be.
- Call to action buttons: a good way to encourage conversions on your website is with buttons. When you propose the design of your website, keep them in mind and put them where you think they will be most efficient. Call to action buttons must clearly say what they do, and they must always work. And above all, they have to look like buttons, even if it’s a no-brainer. If the user does not interpret this element as a button or it does not work, you will lose it.
- Responsive: currently more browsing is done using mobile devices than from the computer. Therefore, the design of the web has to be thought so that it adapts well to different devices. Take into account the position of the elements when you think about the design, and how they will look on a mobile or tablet.
Tools for web design
Today you don’t have to be a design genius to create your own website. With a little creativity and the right tools, you can design a simple, functional website that meets your purposes, whether it be achieving conversions, offering information or showing your work. With this small selection, you no longer have an excuse to start building your website.
- Adobe Color CC: one of the first things you should do when designing your website is to think about the color palette. Any self-respecting brand has its range of identifying colors, which is closely linked to the company’s corporate identity. With this program you can generate color combinations and change them to taste until you find the one that most identifies you. And continuing with the colors, the extension for Google Chrome or Mozilla will be very useful to find colors. Do you want to wear that cool tile red you’ve seen on a website, but there’s no way to find the exact shade? This extension has an eyedropper that takes the color code of any element to be able to use it.
- Typecast: another essential element of a website is typography. It is important to choose it well, that it is easy to read and that it is consistent with the discourse on your website. This application has more than 5,000 fonts with which you can work in a single control panel. You can try as many as you want until you find the perfect one for you. In addition, you can obtain the CSS code to make sure that users will correctly see the font you have chosen for your website. And as with color, the Google Chrome What Font extension will allow you to know which typeface is that you like so much on that website just by hovering over it.
- Mockflow: with this tool, you can quickly and easily assemble a prototype of your website. With the drag and drop system, designing your website will be very intuitive and you can create projects of up to four pages with the free version. It is multiplatform, with which you can build your prototype thinking about Android, iPhone, WordPress, Joomla…
- Envision: allows you to create a web page or animation services prototype and make it interactive with interactions and transitions to check the operation of the design you have thought. You can also share the project with whoever you want, which will come in handy if it is for a client so that they can see the creative process.
- Proto-io: with this program, you can design applications. It is a very powerful tool, with a multitude of options to include and configure the components you need. You can include HTML code, text, lists, menus, forms … and everything in a screen divided into zones to facilitate your work.
- Sublime Text: if you dare with programming to create your website design, this code editor for you. It’s simple and straight to the point, with no room for distractions, making it a very efficient editor. It allows you to have more than one tab open, and you can work in full-screen mode to make the most of the space.
With all these tools you can create a custom web design, just as you have it in your head and that represents everything you want to show about your business. Take into account what you want to achieve with your website and what you want users to find on it, in this way the design will adapt to the needs of future customers. Make it easy for them, that they find everything quickly and the first time and that, in addition, it is beautiful.